Saturday, January 18, 2020

With a heightening Tourism Success, Bohol’s Wildlife is in Slump

I visited the province of Bohol only twice. The first one was year 2008 and the latest was last January 14-16 this year. It was purely official as I was part of the team being assigned to replicate its Loboc River Cruise project as aggressively persisted by my town’s new Local Chief Executive. It was quite exciting because in all honesty I really love to be back to this laid back province. I always appreciate how Bohol authorities kept this kind of environment despite its heightening tourism success.
  
My second visit here did not exactly give me positive impression especially on the part of wildlife conservation and protection. After twelve years I expect the number of fauna species would grow in considerable quantity. Alas, it did not happen. In fact the wildlife here is in slump I should say. The Philippine Tarsier for example, who were very much visible in countless figure just right in the façade of Loboc River Cruise site in 2008 during my first visit, is nowhere to be found today. My colleagues and the locals told me if I want to see the Tarsier I need to proceed to Bilar Wildlife Park which we all eagerly did but there were only three Tarsiers left there, one male, one female and a juvenile. There is an obvious plight of this Philippine species and if left unattended will surely be in danger of total evaporation.

With a compressed schedule I was not able to visit Olango Island and Rajah Sikatuna Natural Park, two good birding sites in Bohol. But since our hotel is located in an isolated part of Panglao I inserted a short birding in its mangrove forest and coconut plantation where common birds were present such as Black-naped Oriole, Common Kingfisher, Olive-backed Sunbird, Common Sandpiper, Striated Heron and Grey-tailed tattler. There are no other good species in Panglao maybe because it is now one of Bohol’s most populated sites. 


During our Loboc river cruise there are no birds either despite the good forest along its perimeter. And even the Chocolate Hills in Carmen and the Man-made Forest which I anticipated to have some nice offerings were in discreet avian mode. When we navigated to Balicasag and Virgin Islands the Dolphins, which were supposedly detectable few years back now seldom shows up. The thicker magnitude of arrivals in these islands have shy away ocean creatures and left others vulnerable. The people doing snorkeling in Balicasag overpowers its coral reefs.  And the lone Sea Turtle, which is a prime attraction in the island, is being disturbed by the influx of people wanting to see it which to me like a gang rape of sort. I do not really know if a carrying capacity study is being considered in Balicasag and Virgin Islands. From a visual analysis the tourists visiting here are really in greater number.


The thousands of people visiting Bohol has taken a toll to its wildlife. As a province depending heavily on tourism being a primary source of income I think the concept of “The More the Merrier” in terms of arrivals is the name of the game and the number one thing in mind for its people and officials. If concerned authorities could not directly turn things around for Bohol I am worried the wildlife here will slowly but surely be phasing out sooner than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment