Thursday, November 1, 2018

Birding in the Bagobo Woodlands Resort

My All Saints Day took off with a quick birding in the Bagobo Woodlands Resort which I earlier pre-arranged with the very supportive resort owner Ate Nene Abajero. I left from Sta. Cruz at around 5:30 AM yesterday and arrived in the resort by 6:15. A flock of Rufous-fronted Tailorbirds welcomed me at the entrance foot path. A lone Pied Triller also showed up and although I heard plenty of small birds along the way I could not identify them one by one through their sounds.
  
Scarlet Minivet
Scarlet Minivet
The canopy of big trees made the surrounding still dark by 6:30 so I proceeded to the small cottages and camping site. Two Brown Shrikes greeted me with their husky sounds, blending well with Yellow-vented Bulbuls, White-eared Brown Doves and Collared Kingfisher from afar.  Olive-backed sunbirds and Red-keeled flowerpecker were spotted in the fruit tree orchard and flower garden. I saw two Grey-streaked Flycatchers perching in three different locations, and the Philippine Pied Fantail was all over the place. As I trekked down Apo Agcos Boulders some White-breasted Woodswallows were visible in a distance. Several crows also formed part of the early visitors.

Grey-streaked Flycatcher
Brown Shrike
Olive-backed Sunbird
Red-keeled Flowerpecker

Philippine Pied Fantail
A lifer for me were two Scarlet Minivets, staying for long in a tree near the cottages, and another bird I could not identify with semblance of an immature Asian Glossy Starling.

White-breasted Woodswallow

Yellow-vented Bulbul
It was a great 2-hour birding though for a total of sixteen species. I know there are a lot more but in the area which would be find out in my next birding sessions. Here is the complete list of birds I recorded yesterday in the Bagobo Woodlands Resort.

1    Rufous-fronted Tailorbird
2    Scarlet Minivet
3    Pied Triller
4    Philippine Pied Fantail
5       Brown Shrike
6      Grey-streaked Flycatcher
7      White-eared Brown Dove
8      Zebra Dove
9      Collared Kingfisher
1      White-breasted Woodswallow
1      Olive-backed Sunbird
1      Red-keeled Flowerpecker
1      Large-billed Crow
1      Yellow-vented Bulbul
1      Asian Palm Swift
1      Eurasian Tree Sparrow

Gratitude is due to the management and staff of Ang Tribu Bagobo Woodlands (ATBW) Resort for the accommodation, especially to Ate Nene and the resort manager Analou. As always, ATBW remains to be a very good and solemn venue worthy for an overnight camping and nature tripping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment