Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Lake Holon is lovelier the second time around

I had a year end climb in Lake Holon last December 28-29, 2016 as I led a group of trekkers and friends from The Royal Mandaya Hotel. We trekked via the easy trail of Salacafe and although it was my second time hiking this area I was still amazed by the charm of this destination considered by many as “paradise”.

  
My last climb in Lake Holon was year 2009 when I joined the group of South Cotabato mountaineers in an organized climb conducted by Gaudy’s World. After seven years the lake remains very enchanting and has been very successful in maintaining itself as an epitome of serenity. After seven years nothing has really changed except that a lot of people now are flocking to the lake as it has slowly but surely becoming a prime ecotourism destination not only in the municipality of Tboli but the entire Socsargen region. Its charisma has radiated to the rest of the world.


The trek to Lake Holon is teamed up with an equally interesting immersion of the Tboli tribe in Salacafe and sitio Nabol. There I witnessed how this group of people lived and co-existed with the times. Farming is their source of income while others considered tourism as alternative like selling snack items along the trail, selling souvenirs, tour guiding and portering.


I was told by my friend Rodel Hilado, the Tourism Officer of Tboli, that they have been receiving bulk of tourists who would like to experience the glory of Lake Holon on a daily basis. Every day is almost a full booking day because visitors would always reach the maximum. Which also made the tourism industry in Tboli alive. My salute to the Tourism Office of Tboli for crafting an inclusive tourism mechanism from tourist registration to arranging transportation and assigning guides and porters. The community in Salacafe also carefully takes part in the implementation of tourism program by giving pre-climb orientation to visitors either in Salacafe Trail or at the other side in Kuli Trail.


The one thing I like about climbing Lake Holon is the abundance of organic tilapia now being offered to tourists for consumption. Local guides would do most of the cooking upon request, but my group chose to have it roasted and paksiwed. Organic tilapia for me has the most palatable taste as compared to other commercially-grown tilapia in nearby localities like Lake Sebu. There are standby tilapia hunters in the lake offering fresh catches of tilapia at a very affordable prize ranging from 50 pesos to 100 pesos. I therefore suggest to trekkers who opted for an overnight stay not to bring much food items like canned goods, instead, consider tilapia-dining another experience in Lake Holon.


Lately, the LGU of Tboli declared temporary closure (from January 7 to March 10, 2017) of Lake Holon for trekking and camping activities in order for the lake to take a breather. The closure also allows the LGU and other authorities to conduct training and refresher course on frontline servicing, rehabilitation of the facilities and to conduct biodiversity assessment of the area. In this context, I commend the LGU of Tboli particularly Mayor Dibu Tuan for always considering environmental conservation in the midst of tourism.

P.S. For two consecutive climbs I took the Salacafe Trail because I considered the physical condition of my trekking mates being all first timers not only in the place but also first timers in the thing called mountain climbing. For two consecutive climbs I missed the Kuli Trail view deck, the one that offers clear 360 degrees view of Lake Holon. Nonetheless, my latest climb allowed me to meet new friends and that is all that matters for me. This photo here below is a souvenir of an instant friend from Surallah, a 12-year old girl who is half-Filipina and half-British.


I will be keeping my fingers crossed, I will be back to Lake Holon soon, maybe not a climb anymore but a trail run via Salacafe-Kuli route. For all those friends who inquired of a 2017 trek, we will just wait for the reopening of the lake on March this year.

Lastly, I would like to thank Mam Elvie and the rest of the group from The Royal Mandaya Hotel for giving me another opportunity to enjoy Lake Holon. Recognition is also due to Miss Margaux of Tboli Tourism Office, Rodel Hilado for the accommodation of your staff in your office. 

No comments:

Post a Comment